Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The twins are here!


Hello everyone!
I am so happy to finally be tying this update. The twins are here. They arrived on November 4, 2011 Friday. Samantha was born at 1256 at 6 lbs 13ozs 18 inches long. Samuel was born at 1257 at 6lbs 2 ozs 20 inches long.
I had a c-section and was awake. I was supposed to be put under due to my previous back surgery but the wonderful anesthesiologist was able to give me a spinal block.
I have to be honest the c-section scared me only because when my lower hald became completely numb I felt like I couldn't breath, so I had a little melt down. The whole staff did everything they could to help me relax. Which I finally did. They must have given me something to relax because during the procedure I just wanted to sleep and I was super hot.
Finally my hubby came in and I felt relief. When they began the procedure I felt nothing thank God, but I could smell the burning of skin which was odd. When they pulled Samantha out I let out a cry of "oh I can breathe again". It took a while for the doctor to get her out due to her being breech and tucked under the right side of my ribs. There was a lot of pushing and pulling that I felt. Very weird sensations.
Samantha didn't cry right away which made me nervous. She looked blue, but as soon as I heard her cry in the next room I was relieved. Samuel cried when he was pulled out and I cried too. It's so strange just to hear your own kiddo cry is like music to your ears.
We were in the hospital for three days. Samantha went home with us but Samuel stayed an extra day. Samuel was taken to the NICU the night they were born due to poor feeding and a low body temp. I was so drugged up that when one of the nurses came into our room to tell us about him I hardly remembered it the next day. But he was fine, the only thing we are dealing with now is maybe acid reflux. Whenever he eats he generally spits up a bit and formula comes out of his nose. Not fun! So we are going to see our doctor for him tomorrow to start treatment of whatever that may be.
Sleep is a far off dream now. I truly miss my lazy selfish days, but I couldn't imagine being without these wonderful little beings. I hate to be biased but they are beautiful and I am in love.
We go in for their second hep B shots next week and I am not looking forward to it. When they had their second heal prick I cried right along with them. I just hate them in pain. But I know it has to be done.
My c-section scar is slowly feeling better but the left side is giving me trouble. I go back in for another follow up next Friday for my doc and we are going to discuss birth control.
The first week home was so hard that I am so happy we are well passed it. I did pump for the first week just to give them the nutrients they needed. But I just couldn't get over the hump of pain that I was feeling. With no sleep, pain in my breasts and my c-section scar hurting I gave up the breast feeding. I still feel a little guilty about it but I feel so much better physically that I am ok with it.
We are up every 2-3 hours to feed the babies. Sometimes one doesn't want to go back to sleep and they want to be held. I try to wait and see if they just want to look around but then they start to fuss and so they fall asleep on me or my husband. Samuel is the one who wants to be held a lot but I think it has to do with his tummy troubles. Samantha does want to be cuddled too at times.
My husband took off a month to be with us and I am so sad that it is over now. He goes back to work on Monday and I will be alone for the first time. I am a a bit nervous but I know we will survive. We are still trying to figure out what each baby wants, and we are still trying to figure out how much they want to eat. Sometimes they will eat 2 ozs or 3ozs or 4ozs it is a struggle.
I have now quit my job officially and I am now a stay at home mama. CRAZY! I just cant believe that three years ago we were trying so hard to have just one baby and now look at us?!
Our house stays a mess and I am trying to get back to a normal routine. Hilarious I know but it helps me stay a bit sane. Any way I look forward to reading everyone's post about life with twins now that they are here. I have pics on my facebook, its under Katherine Estrada I have a shutterfly website, you have to join shutterfly but it's free. The website it The2Sams.shutterfly.com.
Love to all,
Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment